Saturday, April 2, 2016

Gerald Finzi: Chamber Music - Five Bagatelles for Clarinet & String Quartet - Elegy for Violin & Piano Romance for String Quartet - Diabelleries - Introit for Violin & Piano - Interlude for Oboe & String Quartet - Prelude & Fugue for String Trio - MDG 2015

Here's a quick post as I'm at my parent's house and once again I'm likely coming across as an uninterested, underwhelming specimen of a son; Damien is a saint by comparison. My father bought a few discs recently and they are good ones, including a recent (2015) Martinu recording on BIS and this Gerald Finzi that I am about to post now. I realized that I haven't posted any Finzi on my blog yet (along with other British composers I adore, such as Howells, Moeran etc.) so this fitting enough! This disc is entirely new to me and thus far it's impressive. I have only listened to the "Five Bagatelles" (which I have many recordings of; my favorite is a version for Clarinet and String orchestra) as arranged here for Clarinet and String Quartet; it's most effective in this guise! I will have to post more Finzi soon - now I am aching to listen to the oh-so-very gorgeous "Eclogue for Piano and Strings" which imo has its finest performance on a Naxos disc (with the Northern Sinfonia, from 2000 or 2001 I think). Another prize-winner of a disc, a companion cd also on Naxos, has a near perfect performance of the popular Clarinet Concerto. As far as the rest of this MDG program of Finzi chamber works - well I'm excited to give a real listen at home tonight!




Enjoy everyone, and good weekend to you :)

Gerald_Finzi_Chamber_Music-Tzadik.zip

http://www100.zippyshare.com/v/p0cg0XbW/file.html

8 comments:

theblueamos said...

Excellent indeed.Thank you very much for this beauty.Best wishes from Jerusalem.

robbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
perdido said...

Agree with you on that Naxos performance of the Eclogue (Peter Donohoe)

Tzadik said...

Hi blue, good start-of-the-weekend to you. Happy you like the Finzi!

Best,

TZ

Audentity said...

Some very nice chamber music. Thanks!!

Tzadik said...

Hello Audentity, nice of you to comment, you are quite welcome!

Best,

Tz

Gandalf said...

dead link ...

Gandalf said...

Please re-upload - thanks!