Saturday, August 9, 2014

Lou Harrison-Seven Pastorales (and music of Peggy Glanville-Hicks, Terry Riley)

This Music Masters disc has long been a favorite of mine, to be exact when it came out in 1992.
Lou Harrison's Seven Pastorales is a piece that I hold dear, it is beautiful and poignant on many
levels. I met Lou Harrison at the 80th Bday celebration concert in his honor, an all Harrison program.
When I mentioned to him how very moving I found the Seven Pastorales to be, and that It was
one of my favorite compositions-he put a firm and kindly hand on my shoulder and whispered to me
"it's one of my favorites too!". He was one of the sweetest and kindest persons I have ever met.

The Estruscan Concerto of Peggy Glanville-Hicks is also a wonderful piece, full of life and brimming

with lovely ideas, oft Eastern exotic (in a Lou Harrison, Alan Hovhaness vein), but always in her own
idiosyncratic and inventive voice. Her opera "The Transposed Heads" is perhaps her most popular
work, and one of my favorites as well.

"June Buddhas" by Terry Riley is a setting of four choruses from The Mexico City Blues of

Jack Kerouac. For those who instantly think of the extremely important composition "In C",
when hearing Riley's name, this piece will seem quite the surprise. Imo this piece is a tad
under-inspired but perhaps you will feel differently. Enjoy this very special disc.





http://www37.zippyshare.com/v/17387933/file.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you please re-upload the link? Thanks so much!!!

Anonymous said...

I'll second that request. I'd love to hear this as well. Thank you.