Monday, September 29, 2014

Charles Koechlin - Oeuvres pour Ensembles

As an old man Koechlin wrote: "One of the most dreadful diseases of our day is the desire to be modern", but he was not a stuffy conservative himself. Far from it, in fact - he counted among his friends virtually all the leading French musicians of his day, old and young, adventurous and less so, and acknowledged and even assimilated all the trends. He does not really sound like Debussy or Ravel; perhaps one can only say that he is a composer that has his own version of being French, like Satie. His music, consequently, is a highly appealing blend of late-romanticism and impressionism, though he does not hesitate to blend in other styles where appropriate. In fact, his oeuvre is a veritable treasure trove of melodies - Koechlin's ability to conjure up lyrical passages that seem to have always existed must rank alongside Tchaikovsky's; in the context of the 20th century he may be unrivaled. 



Michel Fleury's remarks on Koechlin in the Timpani booklet bear the title 'Open Air Music', alluding to the idea that Koechlin was an 'outdoor' kind of composer. Certainly in this splendid recording nature's big, bold canvases are very much in evidence, nowhere more so than in the retrospective Paysages et Marines ('Landscapes and Seascapes'), one of Koechlin's key works. The same can be said of the spirited Wind Septet. These are all lovely, often unusual chamber works
("Sonate a Sept" as an example is scored for Piano, Flute, Oboe, 2 Violins, Alto (stringed instrument, somewhere between a cello and a viola), and Harpsichord). Enjoy!

Koechlin_ Œuvres_Pour_Ensembles_Tz.zip


http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/10095648/file.html

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot!
Believe it or not, but I was going to ask you if you had any chamber music by Koechlin. :) Do you happen to have more of his chamber works?

Piterets

Anonymous said...

It's amazing to find a Blog like this: congratulations!
I love to know rare and forgotten great composers...I think Koechlin can be a fresh and hard composer at the same time...Thanks a lot!!!

Anonymous said...

Lo he disfrutado de principio a fin... y yo no soy de viento.

Unknown said...

Elegant and fluid lines on the winds, sweet harpsichord sounds in the background.
A music to fly with.
Thank you
Best wishes
Sergio Pontalti

D.ydak said...

Sublime! much thanks

Tzadik said...

Hi Piterets, good timing then, eh ;)
Indeed I do have more, I have quite a lot. Plenty is in storage still, however I just checked one of my hd's and I have a few albums there that I imported a while back. Going to add at least one now. -cheers

Tzadik said...

Thanks anon #1, happy you like the blog, and the Koechlin! Regards

Tzadik said...

Hola anon #2, todo el disco es hermoso, me siento feliz usted está de acuerdo :) Gracias por comentar!

Tzadik said...

Hey Sergio, you are very welcome, and thank you for your comments :) I like the way you described the Sonate a Sept; quite right! -cheers

Tzadik said...

D.ydak you're welcome, it's a heavenly thing to be surrounded by sweet music!

cjvinthechair said...

Oh, just found this after commenting on your Ewazen disc that I'm not into chamber music....oh well, nice evening to turn over a new leaf !
Many thanks.

Tzadik said...

cjvinthechair, Koechlin is a *perfect* way to get into chamber music, it's too beautiful not to like! regards

quantum said...

Gracias. Un disco precioso.

Tzadik said...

Hola quantum. Gracias for commenting. Enjoy it!

FLAVIOLA said...

Oh, Koechlin is new to me and boths discs are resonating deeply-very satisfying! big thanx!
and yes my B-day is the 11th.

Tzadik said...

Flaviola thats great to hear, based on what little I know I figured you would enjoy the Koechlin chamber music. I have a lot more Koechlin, if I can only find where on earth it's stashed! Hope you had a nice bday 13 days back

Tzadik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AT said...

I've search the history of your uploads and I found a lot of interesting posts. It will take some time to download all and even more time hear all.
I send you my regards with best wishes for 2015

Audentity said...

Thanks! I like some Koechlin but these pieces just seem to drag on...